Fatal crash blamed on cell phone user
Shawn Cates killed a woman, authorities said, crossing the center line on Dequindre last Thursday and smashing head-on into a car driven by a 55-year-old mother of three.
And his cell phone is at least partly to blame, they said.
In a case that underscores a national effort to restrict handheld cell phone use while driving, Macomb County prosecutors said Tuesday that they have charged Cates, 20, of Hazel Park with negligent homicide in the death of 55-year-old Diela Lucaj. They say Cates was talking on his cell phone when he drifted across the center line in Warren and killed the restaurant cook from Sterling Heights.
Since then, prosecutors said they have learned that Cates had drugs in his system -- cocaine, marijuana and amphetamines -- which will likely up the charge to involuntary manslaughter, punishable by 15 years in prison. ( Collapse )
Cell Phone use, really? I personally think that it was probably the, oh, I don't know "cocaine, marijuana and amphetamines" in his system. I mean, perhaps if he weren't HIGH, he would have been able to stay in the lane with a cell phone.
Are cell phones a distraction? Certainly. But don't use the press to make loose 'possible' connections. I hate that.